>> Home > Allowance for Special Needs – Adults > Allowance for Special Needs Program – Adults > Eligibility Requirements
- To be eligible for a special needs allowance, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a refugee or a protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- You must be residing in Québec or be deemed to be residing in Québec at the time you file your Application for a Special Needs Allowance.
- You must be admitted to a designated educational institution in order to pursue recognized secondary school (vocational training or adult education), college or university studies1.
- You must receive a minimum of six credits or 76 hours of instruction per period of study or a minimum of 20 hours of instruction per month. Students who are under any of these thresholds are eligible for reimbursement for specialized services and reproduction of course material into Braille only.
- You must be suffering from a recognized major functional disability or another recognized disability.
- You must not be receiving financial assistance from another organization for the same types of assistance.
1. Secondary school, college and university professional training programs that are recognized under the Loans and Bursaries Program.