Declaration of Parents

If you are the father or mother of a student and live with the other parent, the financial resources of both enter into the calculation of the parental contribution. In this case, each parent is required to submit a declaration. However, if you are separated or divorced, only the contribution of the parent with whom the student lives or last lived will be considered.

Please note that no assessment of financial assistance can be added to the student’s file until we have received the declaration form(s) from the parent(s) whose contribution is expected.

Required information

The following information is required in your declaration:

  • Your contact information
  • Your Social Insurance Number
  • Identification information about your dependent children, including the Permanent Code of each one
  • Your gross income as noted on line 199 of your tax return Your income information must be accurate. We systematically cross-check your declared income with Revenu Québec.


You need to use online Services to fill out the Declaration of Mother or Sponsor or Declaration of Father or Sponsor form. If you are unable to submit the document electronically, you can mail it to us.

Gross income declared in another province or country but not reported to Revenu Québec

You must provide a copy of your tax return from the other province or country for the stipulated period. If you had income in a country where tax returns do not exist, one of the following documents must be provided:

  • A copy of a letter from your employer(s) that confirms your total income from January 1 to December 31 of the year in question, in local or Canadian currency
  • A copy of a letter from the embassy of the country that confirms your total income from January 1 to December 31 of the year in question, in local or Canadian currency

Income drop of 10%

If your income drops by 10% or more during the current year compared to the previous calendar year, you can let us know by filling out the Declaration of income drop of at least 10% form. We will then take your current calendar year income into account in determining your contribution. If the declarations of both parents are required in order to calculate the parental contribution, each parent must fill out and submit his or her own form, even if the drop in income only concerns one of you.

Student loan debt liability

As parents, you are not liable for your children’s student loan debt. Under the Act respecting financial assistance for education expenses, applicants who are eligible for the Loans and Bursaries Program are deemed to have reached majority, whether they are 18 years of age or not.