Allowable Expenses

Certain expenses are deemed necessary for the pursuit of your studies, and are considered in the assessment of your assistance. Allowable expenses vary in accordance with your situation. For example, where you live (with your parents or not), the number of your dependent children and whether your educational institution is located in or outside Québec are all factored into the calculations.

There are two categories of allowable expenses:

Months for which expenses are recognized

Monthly or one-time expenses may be recognized in months when you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You are a full-time student.
  • You are deemed a full-time student.
  • You are deemed to be enrolled.
  • You have withdrawn from a course or temporarily dropped out, provided that you pursue full-time studies in the following period of studies.

To be considered in the calculation of allowable expenses, a month is defined as having at least one day of studies. However, the first month of studies in the award year is considered in the calculations only if courses start before the 16th day of that month.

Months for which expenses are not recognized

No expenses are allowed for months in which:

  • You receive benefits from the Social Assistance Program, Social Solidarity Program or Aim for Employment Program (except during the first month of courses or if you are a participant in the Réussir program offered by the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale).
  • You receive unemployment or other similar benefits and are a beneficiary of a training program run by a Government of Canada department or other body.
  • You are a participant in an Emploi-Québec training measure while attending a public secondary or college educational institution as a subsidized full-time student or, if your tuition is fully paid by that body, when you attend a private secondary or college educational institution, a public college for unsubsidized studies, or a university.
  • You are incarcerated.
  • You are doing a practicum/internship of three or more months as part of a Work/Study program.
  • You receive student financial assistance from a government other than the Québec government.